Monday, November 14, 2016

Brooklyn




The amount of time I have spent in Brooklyn over the last few years has increased immensely. When I was a child I spent most of my time on Long Island because that is where I live.  My Uncle lives in Brooklyn so occasionally we would go for a visit twice a year.  Now that I am an adult, I currently work in Brooklyn.  The commute is the worst part of my job.  The construction on the Belt Parkway causes a ton of traffic daily.  I also enjoy hanging out in Brooklyn.  On my free time I drive in or take the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal.  I like to go to restaurants in Williamsburg as well as experience the night life they have to offer. Driving in Brooklyn compared to Long Island is completely different. On Long Island there is usually always somewhere to park that is convenient to where you are going.  In Brooklyn I can spend up to 20 minutes a day looking for parking which leads to a 5-10 minute walk to work.  Some of my coworkers are lucky and rent driveways in the neighborhood to facilitate their commute.  One benefit of my drive is the beautiful scenery of New York that I notice out my window each day.  I work close to the city and can see the Freedom tower.  If i drive to downtown Brooklyn for a meeting I can see the Statue of Liberty. Overall I love the atmosphere of Brooklyn, the culture, the sights and the food.  In the future, maybe I will live here, if the parking gets better!Image result for brooklyn bridge

Describe a place in New York that you like to spend time in and why.

Vocabulary
immensely(adverb) - vast; huge; very great
occasionally(adverb)-at times; from time to time
commute(verb)-to travel regularly over some distance, as from a suburb into a city and back
currently(adverb)-at the present time; now
convenient(adjective)suitable or agreeable to the needs or purpose
benefit(noun)-something that is advantageous or good
scenery(noun)-the general appearance of a place; the aggregate of features that give character to a landscape
atmosphere(noun)-a distinctive quality, as of a place; character


Grammar Point
Proper Noun
 A proper noun has two distinctive features: 
1) it will name a specific [usually a one-of-a-kind] item, and 
2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.
  1. Examples of proper nouns: LarryMexico, and Boston Red Sox.
  2. Cookies = common noun; Oreo = proper noun.
Activity: In the passage about Brooklyn, underline the proper nouns.

No comments:

Post a Comment